Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Hola, buenos dias...

Puerto Escondido, Mexico is a small beach town, a 45 minute plane ride from Oaxaca City.  In the area where I am staying, in order to get to a small business district with shops and cafes, you must walk in the street, as there really aren't many sidewalks. There are a few, but they stop and you are forced to walk on the road. It is always a pleasant walk from my hotel, anyway. It's not just the beautiful flowers, or the sun beating down on me, or the view of the ocean, but the locals that always give a smile and say, "Hola, buenos dias". I love this. It reminds me that people seek connection all over the world. In comparison, many times I have walked a Seattle street and said "hello" only to have the person say nothing and leave me with my own crazy thoughts of, "Is it something I said?!" Maybe it is the gray, the rain, or people preoccupied with their thoughts about their next meal or funding their kids education....who knows? All I know is that I find the exchange of a greeting on the street to be one of life's little pleasures...

No comments:

Post a Comment