Friday, January 17, 2014

Freedom is...

An interesting way to get a lesson in the Spanish language is to be sitting in a hostel in Mexico, trying to blog, and using a Spanish language interface on BlogSpot.com! All that aside, la vida es en Mexico! I have been one week in Oaxaca, in southern Mexico and will look forward to spending the next 6 weeks here. Last year, while living in Guadalajara for a month, I fell in love with the Mexican people, the culture, the land, and, of course, the sun. When I created this blog a few years ago, I named it, without truly having a grasp on the "freedom" part of the name "folk, farming and freedom". I knew it was in me somewhere, just as much as the "folk" and "farming" part, but I wasn't quite sure how it was going to unfold.

Skip ahead a few years later....now, it is unfolding. Freedom! After a couple of years of embracing frugality I set forward on a plan to exit the corporate world for a spell in order to embrace la vida. We have one life, last I heard, and I am going to make the most of it. As a childless person, (whether by choice or by circumstance), one has more time and money to do as we wish. Some of us even do what would be crazy to many, like up and leave a job. But, preparation is always key and I firmly believe that baby steps will get you to where you need to be.

I embraced frugality because it wasn't that I didn't want to spend money, I just wanted other things more. I. Wanted. Freedom. To do as I wished. If even for a little while. I look forward to posting some stories about my adventures in Mexico and I hope that you enjoy them. Today in the streets of Oaxaca, I enjoyed outdoor markets, artists painting in the street, flamenco dancing, Jicama on a stick, the sun....la vida!




4 comments:

  1. Can relate in so many ways. Am always glad to read your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kattttttte! :) how are you? let's catch up in march or so?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to all your travel news. You are my hero

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wallllly...I feel like all these vashoners are my long lost friends! I miss you guys....hopefully we can all catch up when I get back. sing a few songs! xo

    ReplyDelete