Thursday, January 30, 2014

Fishing for a living...

First of all, let me say that a blog post really should have a photo, but I'm having issues with transferring photos from my iPhone. The photos will have to wait...

This morning on my walk on the beach I met Julio, a fisherman, who makes his living off of what he can catch in the sea. He sells at the market but also works to feed himself and his family.

I spoke with another fisherman a little later on my walk and I asked him if he liked his work. He said he did. I asked if it was easy or difficult. He said it can be both. I wondered if it were dangerous...and he said that at times it can be. If the waves are really high they can crash you against the rocks and some fishermen have died...

These aren't the usual fishermen we see in the states, with fishing poles. They use nets and cast them out while standing waste deep in the warm water. There are several men, ranging in age from teenager to middle age, all working together.  Once their net is full of little sardine type fish, they run it up to the bucket they have waiting on the beach. I noticed they keep it under a makeshift shelter of  dried out palm fronds. I think this is to keep the seagulls away from their catch. I've watched these fishermen every day. To me, it looks like they are having fun and really have great passion for their work. If I am right, I think they are very lucky.

A picture IS worth a thousand words...I can't wait to upload my photo of Julio, who makes his living from the sea...

No comments:

Post a Comment