Saturday, September 3, 2011

Growing a Child

Me...weeding the beds, back at the ranch...


Mom in her Garden
I decided to help my folks out today in their yard...they help me with so much, it is the least I can do. As a 41 year old woman I no longer resent being given a bucket, trowel and clippers and being told, "can you weed this row here...?" No longer does my Mom say, "do a good job or you will have to do it again..." No longer am I thinking who I can be out playing with and how horrible it is to be weeding a garden back at the ranch, when other kids are playing in the summer sun. I now enjoy gardening as it allows me to live in the moment and be part of a stillness and quiet.  I like to think the many jobs around the house that Mom gave us kids helped us grow into  hard working people. Maybe that is how you grow children...?  I will never work as hard and endlessly as my parents do. I think with each generation into modernity it just changes....


No comments:

Post a Comment