Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Apple of the Earth, la Pomme de Terre...

Spuds!


 Mining for gold….yukon gold and fingerling potatoes, don’t you know. Did you know that if you plant one potato in the ground within a couple months you can harvest upwards of 20 potatoes from each plant? I was incredulous as I was digging with my hands at the Lanphear farm and finding gem after delicious gem ….I spent about one hour in the row of potatoes, harvesting.  

 A few days later, as I vacationed at EagleHeights cottage, where it is known as a B & V (Bed and Vegetables), my sister Debbie pointed out the crop of potatoes that was growing in one of the raised beds. I didn’t even notice they were there.  I had been boasting of the jewels that I had harvested at the farm but I didn’t even see the crop at the B & V that was staring me down each time I walked through the front gate.  Deb also showed me how to easily harvest the spuds with a pitchfork and voila.

I have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment