Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Summer in Winter...

I am a snow birder. This year, anyway. It has been great to take leave of the old life for awhile and just "be" here in Mexico.  Most people my age have commitments of a mortgage, children and all those things that come with grown up life.  Those of us that don't have those things however, have the  freedom to do as and when we please, given some planning, commitment and follow through. For me, it started with a little dream...to exit the corporate world. Next came the baby steps of figuring out how I could actually make that happen. Later, it was following through with the plan, painstakingly. And last but not least, it was getting on the plane and making a life here for the past month and a half.

Traveling is wonderful but it isn't always easy. It can be hard being away from your loved ones. We travelers make friends with other travelers, so you might have a friend for a week, or two or maybe longer, but the time comes when people move on. To be a traveler you really have to be comfortable being your own best friend.

After spending the last week traveling in Mexico City I was anxious to get back to the easy life that is Oaxaca. It took me awhile to learn the streets here, but I know them now; it feels comfortable. As I was walking through the Zocalo today I was wondering how I may have grown these past weeks. I think that will unfold over time as my winter in Oaxaca becomes a distant memory...

No comments:

Post a Comment